Wednesday, June 11, 2014

10 Most Common Topics in IELTS Speaking


By Alon Calinao Dy: I hope these topics would certainly help other candidates who are going to take the IELTS examination. For me, speaking is the most difficult part in IELTS because I have difficulty in my pronunciation. But, I pray to God Almighty that all of you may pass the test and get your desired scores.

Here are the possible topics that your examiner might ask you during the actual interview:

1. Q. Tell me about your hometown.

A. My hometown is Gandara, which is part in Visayas. Although my region was hit by Super Typhoon Haiyan last Nov. 8, 2014, I should say that my town is still charming with friendly people. It is the 2nd municipality in the province of Samar and has an estimate of 31, 943 population. It is a small town with wide and beautiful roads. I like it a lot... I think people who visit Gandara can easily agree to the fact that it has very rich cultural heritage. Also, there are many farmlands, vast oceans, gardens, historical buildings, and museums. Another thing which is very attractive for the tourists is its food industry. There are affordable food products and different restaurants in the area. I am sure, you will love my place. And therefore, I could say, it's safe and quiet environment for everyone.

However, one thing I don't like about my town is the political system. Nowadays, many government officials are corrupt. So people are no longer trusting their leadership. But overall, it is a great town!

2. Q. Tell me about your favorite music.

A. Nowadays, music is very popular for all ages. Some people prefer to listen instrumental or classical music, others like Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop, and R&B. For me, I like all sorts of music. But one thing I love the most is the instrumental one. I don't know, but I feel better when I listen to this kind of music. I can easily sleep well at night and I am always in the good mood when I wake up every morning. It can also reduce my stress after a long week from work.

My other favorite kind of music is Romantic. I don't know why I am so emotional every time I hear love songs. Perhaps because, I am a loving person. That's why I can easily relate to any love songs every time I tune in Love Radio FM. I don't know, but I feel I can fly in the sky because of these songs from the heart. It always makes me happy and smile.

However, music has many disadvantages as well. For instance, if you listen in a loud sound, it will definitely affect or damage your hearing. It is better if you listen in a moderate volume, so you can protect your eardrum. Another thing is, if you are a starter who wants to sing by yourself and you are out of a rhythm, please consider the people around you who do not want to be disturbed in the middle of the night. I supposed, it is nice to know that someone is trying too hard and put a lot of his energy into music, but don't overreact. I think, I don't have a problem if somebody can sing like Mariah Carey. But if someone is out of tune and irritating, well, listening to music becomes bad for me.

3. Q. Tell me about a famous celebrity.

A. I would like to talk about my favorite boxer named Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao is an eight-division world champion. He is the most exciting boxer in the world. He is the national pride of the Philippines. He is like a Muhammad Ali in our generation today. He has done so many things in boxing that no one could ever do. He defeated the legends in the sweet science like Oscar Dela Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Eric Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, Antonio Barrera, Antonio Margarito, Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto, and other well-known fighters.

Outside the boxing ring, he is also a philanthropist. It means to say that he helps lot of people. He spends millions of pesos to charitable institutions each year. For instance, last Nov. 8, 2013, he donated millions of pesos to the survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan locally known as Yolanda. For this, I really admire him because he has great concerns for others. He always shares his blessings to the poor. He has fear in God and always remains a down-to-earth person despite his richness.

4. Q. Tell/describe a museum

A. I would like to talk about my favorite museum. Last year, I enjoyed visiting Rizal Museum, which is located in Manila, Philippines. It was not actually my intention to go there, and my original plan was to visit my childhood friends, who now live in Quezon City. But then my cousin who accompanied me, he convinced me to visit the museum. Of course, I could not say 'No' to him.

When I saw the museum, it was a big building with large open garden in front of it. There were many floors in the museum, and I could not remember exactly how many floors are there. Also, many people were roaming around the place - men, women, and mostly children. They were closely observing the whole museum. As far as I could remember, taking a photo was restricted in the area. Bringing food items also was not allowed inside.

In museum, I found all the costumes and traditional things from old people. The overall experience was fantastic and I learned so many things in my short stay. As soon as I left the place, I planned to revisit it someday. It was really a unique experience and I would never ever forget it for the rest of my life.

5. Q.Tell/describe a person who is not related to you that influences you a lot.

A. I would like to talk about my favorite teacher who influences me so much. Her name is Nimfa Du-bungco. She was my History teacher when I was in high school. I admire her a lot because she has good sense of humors, cool, good looking, smart, and friendly to everyone.

Every time I listened to her discussion, I could easily absorb her ideas. It was not a boring subject, really. You know why, because she has always funny stories to tell us. That's why all the students in the class were enjoying and at the same learning her discussion. Yes, she is an amazing mentor. I remember she always encouraged everyone to study very well and treat one another like a brother or sister. For this reason, she became "A Teacher of the Year" for several years. Even today, she is still a popular teacher in the school.

6. Q. Describe one of your friends.

A. I would like to talk about a very close friend of mine. His name is Sherwin Lim. I met him when I started working as a staff nurse at Kuwait Heart Center. We became good friends and later on I considered him as my best friend. I have known him for almost 3 years now. We have the same tastes of sports. We play basketball all the time and we go for swimming every weekend.

Sherwin is a helpful and loyal friend to me. I can tell any secrets to him, because I know, I can trust him. I like him because he is a down-to-earth person. He is also passionate about reading books, and that makes me like him, because reading is one of my interest things to do. Also, Sherwin helps me every time I encounter problems. He is like a brother to me and I never feel bored spending time with him. Since we are friends for a long time, we understand each other. Therefore, I could say that Sherwin is a wonderful friend.

7. Q. Describe a festival.

A. I would like to talk about a festival in my country, particularly in my hometown, which is Gandara Samar. Gandara festival is celebrated every September 28th of the year.

This is a special occasion that people celebrate with happiness in their hearts. What I did last festival, I visited some of my relatives and friends. I even joined my townmates for their cultural programs and presentations. After that, I ate a lot of delicious foods and prayed to God Almighty for the blessings that I have received.

This is a very important celebration for us. We believe that if we start the year with joy, love, and hope, then we will be successful for the remaining year.8. Q. Describe a thing which is important to you.

A. I would like to talk about my mobile phone, which is very important to me as it helps me communicate with my family, relatives, and friends. My mobile phone is Samsung Galaxy Note II. It has internet simcard on it. Therefore, I can check my emails, update my personal blog, take pictures, play games, and use my Facebook and Twitter accounts anytime I want.

I bought this gadget a year ago in Kuwait. It was 200 K.D before, but now I think it is around 150 K.D. In Philippine Pesos, it is more than 30, 000 pesos.

My mobile phone has versatile usages and is very special to me. I can download any applications in my mobile. There is Viber application. I use this free application all the time to call my dearest wife, who is in the Philippines. We always spend hours talking at each other. It is a free call, that is why I can call her anytime. In other words, I can't live without my mobile phone.

9. Q. Describe a person related to you.

A. I would like to talk about my mother. She is my favorite person in the family. She does everything for the family. She takes good care all her children. She does the household chores - the cleaning, the washing, and the cooking. She also manages some of our businesses.

I like her very much because she has a great impact on my personality. Whenever I have problems, she would always listen to me and give me the best advice. can tell anything to her. She is a very helpful and soft-hearted person. Because of this, I have also become a generous person and started taking good care of other people. She is really an inspiring person and I owe everything to her.

10. Q. Describe a special occasion in your life.

A. There are many important events and occasions in my life. But I would like to talk about a birthday party celebration of my cousin's Jay Boy Boller. My cousin is slim, tall, and handsome guy. He is shy, but excellent singer. He can also dance like a professional one.The party was held in Jay Boy's house in Quezon City, Metro Manila. In front of his house, there is a big swimming pool and snooker table. There is also a huge backyard with enormous BBQ.

The party was really fun. I think all people who attended this special occasion have only one thing to say, and that is the word 'Fabulous!' Indeed, I enjoyed eating delicious foods and watching some programs. I also saw a lot of people dancing around me because there was a live music by local band. At the end of the party, I met great people and have deep and meaningful conversations with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment