Sunday, December 21, 2014

International Donations for Super Typhoon Yolanda Victims: Where Did It All Go?



By Alon Calinao Dy: Yolanda survivors are still waiting for the cash donations that supposedly intended to help them for the repair of their collapsed houses and start a new life.

The government agencies might forget to grant financial aid to typhoon victims, but the survivors still remember...

Nearly all countries donated cash funds, but those victims have not felt the support from our national and local government units, particularly from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), except from the NGOs like ABS-CBN Foundation, Inc., and GMA Kapuso Foundation.

According to a reliable resource, DSWD until now receives some cash of money from the donors around the world.  Hundreds of millions of Pesos were kept in the banks, but none of these amounts have reached to the Haiyan survivors these days according to the affected people.

Now many people are asking, where did all these funds for typhoon victims go? I'm also questioning why most Haiyan survivors are not satisfied with the assistance they get from our government?

More than a year from now, I still remember the strongest typhoon in the world that ever landed in the Philippines, which destroyed so many lives. 

I'm curious if any of these corrupt people still care for those families who lost everything including their loved ones in the wake of super typhoon Yolanda last year.


Are Filipino leaders corrupt, no conscience, and take advantage of others?

Whenever I travel abroad, I am always proud of my origin that I am a Filipino. I know many foreign nationals have so much respect for our OFWs because they are kind and industrious people. 

Again, I'm wondering where did those international donations for Haiyan victims go. I wish I had the answers right at once. If you are going to ask me, I'm not happy on how the government handles the distribution of international aid for typhoon victims.



Lately, I'm very ashamed to foreign donors that the newly constructed houses of our government for the Yolanda survivors had been washed out when typhoon Hagupit, also known as Ruby, made landfall in Visayas region on Dec.7.

At the back of my mind, how did this thing happen? I also have lots of questions to ask: why did these contractors involved use substandard materials to build houses when they have enough budgets? Again and again, where did all those foreign aid and assistance or international donations go?