Saturday, January 16, 2016

Confession of a Social Media Addict


By Alon Calinao Dy: I think since 2009 I have a social media addiction. It started reading articles from the interested authors who have helped me to have some ideas about the current conditions not only here in the Philippines but also around the world.

I was an active player in any physical sports, but since the advent and widespread use of the internet especially among teens, I realized that I became a homebody who was happy browsing my laptop or android phone. From that day forward, I knew I was a social media addict.

Obviously, I couldn't stay away from social media networks and the usage, specially Facebook,  as it became constant when I worked overseas to battle boredom. 

My friends told me that it was not my fault since it was the only way I could communicate with my loved ones in the Philippines. I really couldn't resist the urge seeing the new posts from my online friends as I wandered on my social media networks aimlessly.

Social media addiction became my worst enemy when I could not sleep well at night and when I logged into my account every day using my mobile phone.

In the world of social network, I think Facebook is my favorite site to visit, enjoying the new photos from my online friends. In fact, I always hit a like button to a Facebook share if it interests me.

I have created many online friendships, pages, and groups. I have many fond memories using Facebook. I don't know how serious is my social media addiction. It's true that netizens sometimes forget what's private thing or not because this kind of addiction encourages users to post anything online.

I admit I have a social media addiction. That's why I said to myself that I want to limit myself using social media networks. I know it has not been easy for me to do this because I already spent too much time, energy, and money... But to save all these, I know I can limit the time I spend in social media and other websites. A DISCIPLINE is what online users need.

No comments:

Post a Comment