Friday, November 7, 2014

Is Laughter The Best Medicine?

By Alon Calinao Dy: The old saying that 'laughter is the best medicine' is absolutely true since it can relieve daily stress from our work. Late Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr., known by many as "Dolphy" was the king of comedy in the Philippines who captured the hearts of a million Filipinos through his unparalleled sense of humor. Most of the time, he entertained the sick people because laughter is truly contagious. 

I remember when my two grandfathers were still alive, they always laughed at Dolphy. When I saw their happiness I then understood that the value of a simple smile was priceless. No sum of money can heal the suffering of a sick person, but only the magical powers of  laughter. 



My grandparents Mr. & Mrs. Prudencio Dy, Sr.


I recall when my late Chinese grandfather was dying of lung cancer, he was a fearless man. He ate all the food that was served to him by my grandmother Pacencia and I did not hear him sounding off any pain even though his disease already progressed to bone cancer. He was probably the bravest man I ever knew. Do you want to know his secret? He has been a comedian ever since and many people enjoyed him doing funny things in public.
So when his time drew near, he thought about the many people he made happy. He died a natural, painless death.

Enough with a real-life drama, I've suffered enough. Hehehe. It merely made me feel sad when I thought about him. I'm sure my late grandpa wanted me to smile at all times, and this is why I believe that laughter proves to be the best medicine to soothe one's soul. Because when you become depressed, you are vulnerable to deception of life that it has no more reasons to be happy. In this instance, one has the intention to commit suicide because it is the only way to end the pain of life. Suicidal ideas are completely avoidable if laughter techniques can be easily carried out and is one of the essential ways to make a person feel better.


Again, is laughter the best medicine?


In many studies, researchers have found out that laughter has a healthy benefit since it helps prevent a potential heart attack. Mad or depressed people are susceptible to sudden strokes because of emotional outbursts that may contribute to unhealthy responses to stress.



There's tons of evidence that laughter does lots of good things for us. Although some people differentiate smiling and laughing, it bears a similar meaning in a way that it establishes a positive feeling and connects with people. Whether you laugh or smile, it is definitely infectious. So don't forget to laugh or smile today.



show me your brightest smile


Watch this Japanese Funniest Video: