Saturday, October 18, 2014

Walters Stops Donaire in Round 6

By Alon Calinao Dy: WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire (33-3, 21 KOs) tasted  a third defeat tonight via knockout to the natural and unbeaten Nicholas "The Axeman" Walters (25-0, 21 KOs) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.




The Filipino fighter landed a lethal punch that almost knocked Walters down in the second round, but it was redeemed by the bell. In the third round, Walters returned the favor as he knocked Donaire down with a solid right uppercut to the head. Nonito had a slice on his right eyelid that hurt him throughout the fight.

The Axeman gained his confidence and tailed The Filipino Flash wherever he went in the ring. Donaire was nowhere to hide, but faced the Jamaican fighter with a sharp combination of punches. Walters was a real tough opponent who did not worry much from Donaire's powerful hands, especially to a dangerous left hook that staggered him in the second round.

In the sixth round, it was clear that Walters had still much to offer compared to Donaire. Donaire got himself in trouble when Walters fired a blazing shot behind the Filipino's ear with less than 10 seconds left in the round. The referee halted the bout when he watched the helpless Donaire after the 8 count. A badly hurt Donaire stayed on the ground for a while.

Then after the match, he praised and congratulated Walters for his best performance. He said on his social media accounts, "Congratulations to Walters! He deserves everything. I have no regrets. I can honestly say I trained my best and I made alot of sacrifices this camp. I'm honored I lost to him in the fight we had. I hit him with everything I had and he just kept coming. Thanks to all my friends family and fan who believed in me and still believe in me. I love u all. God Bless."


One should remember that the Filipino pride Manny Pacquiao lost via knockout to his arch nemesis Marquez in the sixth round with a second left before the succeeding round. This may be a word of advice to all Filipino boxers that they should be more careful in the half of the twelfth round of the fight. But in reality, both fighters don't know the outcome of the combat. What fight fans want to see from these brave warriors is a real fight.





No comments:

Post a Comment