Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Alon Calinao Dy's Prediction: Algieri vs. Pacquiao

By Alon Calinao Dy: I know Chris Algieri (20-0) is a tough warrior. I know he has reach advantage over Manny Pacquiao. But he is not going to get the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Welterweight Title from the only eight-division world champion and fighter of the decade congressman Manny Pacquiao. I think I'm sure about it.



Chris Algieri defeated Ruslan Provodnikov last June to be Pacquiao's challenger for the WBO welterweight crown. Not bad. I'm impressed. Although I now give him credit for that, I still believe that he has no chance to beat Pacquiao at The Venetian Macao in Macau, China, on Nov. 22. 

As always, this is just a hype to make boxing fans around the world believe that he can actually stop the pound-for-pound king.

But still, it is an exciting fight for both boxers Pacquiao and Algieri, as they are true warriors. I have great respect for them because they have come this far. I mean Algieri has reached this far since this is the biggest bout of his career. Now he has the opportunity to show the world that he can defeat the Filipino boxing champion.

I understand I undestimated Algieri for this upcoming battle. In every fight, there's a real threat. But this is what I see -- NO REAL DANGER! I predict all the scorecards would be in favor of Pacquiao. If the bout would not end by a knockout, then it would be an unanimous decision from the judges. Whoever is a busy fighter and throws a lot of deadly punches, has the chance to get the belt.

As my mind can be as crystal clear as water, I believe Pacquiao is going to win this competition. No doubt about it! Period.

I just hope after this fight, Pacquiao would try everything in his power to challenge the undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. I am still optimistic that these elite boxers would face each other for the love of boxing and fans around the globe.

Both global icons Pacquiao and Mayweather have unfinished business. I guess the Filipino boxing superstar is going to retire in 2015 because he will run a national office in the coming Philippine Senatorial Election in 2016. Although he can still defend his crown, everything has come to an end. The world of politics would be his last vision and mission to serve his countrymen.

No comments:

Post a Comment