Friday, March 20, 2015

Why Is It So Hard To Say "I Am Sorry"?

Composite image
By Alon Calinao Dy: It is so difficult to say " I am sorry" if you are the head of the state, but nobody is perfect. Saying sorry is possible when you have done something wrong. It seems President Aquino is not blaming himself for what happened in Mamasapano tragedy when he pointed out PNP Chief Napenas who had no proper coordination with the AFP.

Former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said "I am sorry" on the "Hello Garci" issue, and it was not a mistake. Arroyo apologized to the public because she knew she had committed a terrible mistake. Yet, if you do not fully embrace the word 'sorry,' I think it is better not to say it. 

I understand how Mr. President felt when he just can't say it. Why are many people so rude and put all the blame to him? I think the President was responsible and made a mistake, but we all made mistakes, right? I am sure there are many reasons why President Aquino can't just say "I am sorry" to the nation. I respect his decision.

I understand apologizing can make some people feel vulnerable that they might lose their power and people are going to disrespect them. Others would say that it is a sign of weakness, which I don't believe it is. Yes, it is really hard to say sorry because people might reject your apology.

It is hard to acknowledge that we have pride. That pride is not helping us, but destroying all of us. Admit it or not, many Filipinos are perfectionists. We do not want to show our true colors. We think that we are on the right track. We do not listen and say "I am sorry." 

In the Philippines, we do not want lots of experts and perfectionists, but what we need are those humble ones. Each one of us has its own weakness. None of us are perfect people. 

Thus, Saying you're sorry takes a lot of courage and actually means that you are a responsible person who is committed at work.