Sunday, April 26, 2015

Vital Signs: Understanding What The Body is Telling Us

By Alon Calinao Dy: Taking vital signs is not simple as you might imagine. After 6 weeks watching a series of video lectures and demonstrations of professor Connie B. Scanga, a Practice Professor of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, I greatly valued my participation, earning a certificate of achievement.

I understand better about the basic anatomy and physiology, and I've got an opportunity to interact with other healthcare providers around the world. Vital signs are important to assess my patient, especially during summer when the temperature is hot and when the patient has hypertension who is at greater risk for stroke.

I thank professors Connie and Megan for spending their time with us, and I had fun seeing the videos. Apart from the actual demonstration of taking vital signs I've learned when I was still a nursing student, our instructors in this course taught us the importance of heart rate, blood pressure, metabolism, respiration rate, body temperature, and pain.

Although there is a graded quiz each week of the class, I'm confident I've got a high mark. Yes! I made it, owing to my lecturers who did not fail to teach us the things we need to learn in this course.

As a nurse that is constantly at the patient's bedside, I think the information I've got from these video lectures would help me become a competent healthcare member. I have to divvy up these ideas and teach others the value of continuing education. Thus, practicing what I studied in this course is a must.

I hope to participate in a global learning community like this in the future. I'm sure everyone who engages in this course will appreciate the instructors, students, guest speakers, and other participants that make the vital sign class a possible one. It was very informative and truly fantastic. I hope to see another lecture from you, professor Connie. Thank you!