By Alon Calinao Dy: There are many interesting characteristics that some Filipinos do not know about Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte. I listed 10 good qualities of him and I'm sure there are many things to say what kind of leader he is.
I personally admire Mayor Duterte for being a disciplinarian and the one who does not tolerate any sort of illegal activities in his locality.
Here are 10 facts you should know about Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte:
1. Duterte is a real person. Filipinos are tired of the politicians who do not stick to their promises. No wonder why the good mayor of Davao City has not promised anything that he is going to run for president in 2016, but said this famous quote "I will keep the door open and keep it open for God to decide."
2. Duterte has won several awards for leading the city's humanitarian efforts. When super typhoon Yolanda hit the country that killed thousands of Filipinos last November 2013, Davao City was among the first local government units who responded and helped the survivors.
3. Duterte is known for his strict rules. There are outraged activists who oppose to the way he carries out the laws, linking him to the notorious Davao Death Squad. He reiterated that drug pushers, kidnappers, and other dangerous criminals have no place in Davao City. He assisted in turning the city from the "killing fields" of assassins into the 9th safest city in the world to live in.
4. Duterte is a political leader who becomes rich from the admiration of the Filipinos and not from the money in the bank. He successfully used politics to serve and help the needy. He also brought equality between the rich and the poor under his good governance.
5. Duterte is not a man of few words. He has a lot to say because he wants some real changes in the government, but does what he says. Compared to other politicians, he is a leader of action and gets things done.
6. Duterte wants to create more jobs in the Philippines. Time will come, OFWs will no longer work overseas just to feed their families and find green pastures abroad. He understands the important role that family plays in shaping Filipinos spiritually, morally, and socially.
7. Duterte is a simple man. He can walk freely in Davao City without private armies around him. No wonder why Davao City is known for less crimes and one of the safest cities in the world.
8. Duterte hates criminals. He always warns offenders to stay away from Davao City. He does not promote violence but rather wants to maintain peace and order in his area of responsibility.
9. Duterte wants to serve the people particularly the poor. He has a slogan against corruption and promotes federalism— a new type of government similar to the United States. For many years, his desire to help the people is unquestionable.
10. Duterte wants to reform criminal justice system, improve outcomes, and restores the death penalty. He believes that he will keep on fighting criminals as long as there is one living among them. He strongly adheres to the laws of justice, equality, and respect.