Friday, July 29, 2016

Enough Sleep And Natural Remedies For Sore Throat


By Alon Calinao Dy: When I have a sore throat, I usually do not use antibiotics and I have to find out first whether it is caused by virus or bacteria. I believe our immune system usually clears this symptom after a few days. 

According to Mayo Clinic, if the sore throat is caused by virus, it resolves on its own. You just need a plenty rest especially at night and try natural remedies to combat this painful condition. Antibiotics do not work against viruses.

If a sore throat is caused by bacteria, the most common is streptococcal infection, and this time, a sufferer should take antibiotics for a week according to the prescribing physician.  But it's common that a sore throat is caused by virus.

When I was a nursing student at St. Jude College in Manila, Azithromycin (Zithromax) was effective for me. I just took it for 3 days. But I recently found out, this drug was discouraged as it caused arrhythmia. And so this drug is dangerous for people who have heart problems.

Many doctors do not recommend antibiotics if this condition can be treated in a natural way. The reason for this is by becoming resistant to antibiotics. But if symptom persists for more than a week, k*ll your doctor(just kidding). I mean call your doctor.

I usually made a natural remedy to treat my sore throat. In a cup, I put 2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of raw honey, 1 teaspoon of lemon, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider. I took it 3 times a day until I no longer have a sore throat. Try to drink a lot of water as much as you can.

I remember my doctor in UST hospital after she cultured my sputum and recommended an antiobiotic. She said in 2005, "Mr. Alon Dy, this Azithromycin (Zithromax) perfectly works for you." But after how many years of studies, many cardiologists caution the use of this drug.

As Science continues to evolve, people who don't get enough sleep are usually vulnerable to various diseases particularly from sore throat. Rest is important to rejuvenate our body's ceils. As a nurse who blogs and loves to write all the time, I often abused my body by depriving myself of sleep. So starting today, I have to change. 



No comments:

Post a Comment